Yoga Teacher Training
Discover your path to embodied living & teaching.
October 8, 2021 – May 8, 2022
The 8 Limbs Yoga Centers Grounded Wisdom Yoga Teacher Training meets one weekend a month from October through May. Spread your time, commitment, and studies over the course of eight months!
Our training is a great fit for both the aspiring teacher and the dedicated practitioner ready to learn more. Whatever level of commitment you choose, our Grounded Wisdom Training offers excellent opportunities to deepen your yogic knowledge and self-study in a supportive community.
“The 8 Limbs Yoga Centers’ 200-hour yoga teacher training is staffed by serious, life-long practitioners who not only know their stuff, but are skilled and gracious teachers. I received a well-rounded introduction to the yogic system that introduced me to things I was completely unfamiliar with, even as a longtime student and practitioner. The training gave a structured container for far-reaching self-reflection and study.” – Suparna Chhibber
Join us for a free Info Session.
- October 8-10, 2021
- November 12-14, 2021
- December 3-5, 2021
- January 7-9, 2022
- February 4-6, 2022
- March 4-6, 2022
- April 8-10, 2022
- May 6-8, 2022
- Weekly Zoom Meeting: Wednesdays 6:00-8:00pm
- Weekends at 8 Limbs Capitol Hill:
- Friday: 6:00-8:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Sunday: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Review 4 to 5 hours of recorded teacher training content each month at your own pace
Please note: Times and locations subject to change. Final schedule with locations will be sent out to accepted participants.
Included in the Modular Training (Approximately 180 hours of study and practice):
- Asana, Pranayama, and Restoratives (75 hours)
- Learn to practice and skillfully teach poses through greater understanding of anatomy, energetic actions and variations
- Learn healthy alignment for injury prevention and longevity
- Understand specific benefits of postures and pranayama for building a personal practice or for working with a wide range of students
- Practice modifications for injuries and/or various bodies and needs
- Learn contraindications for foundational poses
- Anatomy and Physiology (30 hours)
- Explore foundational concepts and terminology for the entire body
- Learn the names of common bones and muscles to support popular asanas
- Experiential classes weaving anatomical concepts and principles into poses
- Understand pathology and contraindications to keep your students safe
- Body systems – learn what the organs of the body do and how they are affected by asanas
- Energetic anatomy – nervous system to bandhas and chakras
- Art of Teaching/Teaching Practice and Sequencing (50 hours)
- Dive into the 8 Limbs Teaching Template to design a diverse range of classes from Intro Series, Basics, Vinyasa Flow, to Anatomical Themed classes
- Art of Teaching classes emphasize teaching, observation and assisting principles
- Monthly practice sessions teaching in small groups or one-on-one
- Create monthly sequences with Mentor feedback
- Learn and practice inclusive language to teach and create spaces of welcome for various bodies, identities, and groups
- Philosophy, Ayurveda and Yogic Lifestyle (30 hours)
- Experience the Yoga sutras and learn how to bring them to life in your in practice, relations, and meditation practice
- Conversation on the Dharma (wisdom teachings) of the Sutras
- Introductory look at meditation and mindfulness. Students will focus on meditation posture, concentration techniques, body-based mindfulness practices and inquiry into the inner workings of the mind.
- Familiarize yourself with the many traditional paths of yoga
- Learn basic Sanskrit for common poses
- How to use the chakras for personal growth and in designing asana classes
- Use the 5 Elements in Ayurveda to understand your unique constitution and create healthy routines
- Tools to Thrive as a Teacher (15 hours)
- Business of yoga class to explore the many ways to make a living as a teacher and how to set up realistic goals after graduating
- How to prepare for yoga auditions and apply for teaching positions
- Participate in engaging conversations in our Holding Inclusive Space class which explores unpacking unconscious bias, body positivity, accessibility in asana, inclusive language for teachers, and making agreements for and building a culture of unconditional welcome and belonging
- Conversations in ethics for teachers to understand the value of boundaries, policy and personal practice
- 8 Limbs Teacher Training Manual
- 4 30-minute one-on-one meetings with Mentor
- 2-3 hours per week reading and homework
- 8 Limbs Livestream Unlimited Membership October 1, 2021-May 15, 2022
- Attendance of all eight training modules*
- Completion of required reading list and homework
- Passing grade of 75% of higher on take home final exam
Upon completing all requirements, participants will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. With this they may apply for 200 RYT Certification through The Yoga Alliance.
* Missed classes due to emergency or illness may be made up by listening to recorded classes and following up with instructor.
20201/2022 Modular Training Payment Options*
- Full Payment (made within one month of acceptance): $3,600 through August 1, $3,800 after
- Installment Plan: $3,900 paid in 8 installments of $487.50
- Repeat 200-hour: $2,800 paid in full for 200-hour graduates of other school
- Repeat 8 Limbs 200-hour: $2,000 paid in full for graduates of 8 Limbs 200-hour Teacher Training
8 Limbs Yoga Centers is committed to increasing diversity, accessibility and safety in the Pacific Northwest’s yoga community. This includes a commitment to empowering a yoga teacher pool that is representative of the diversity in our area. As one part of these commitments, 8 Limbs offers opportunities for tuition support to applicants of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and/or other under-represented groups. Active duty military personnel receive a 20% discount on Teacher Training Tuition, space allowing. To apply for tuition support, please apply to our training and note in the final question (“Do you have any concerns, questions or requests regarding this training?”) a brief description of why you qualify. Limited availability, apply early to be considered.
Our teaching staff is a strong collective of seasoned yoga teachers. Our core staff have led trainings together for more than fifteen years and have more than 100 years of combined study and teaching to share with you! Typical student to teacher ratio for this training is 15-20 to 1. Links below lead to yoga instructor bios, scroll to end of page to read more extensive bios related to Teacher Training:
- Jenny Hayo, E-RYT 500, Pranayama, Meditation, Restoratives and Yoga Sutra Instructor
- Melina Meza, E-RYT 500, YACEP, Sequencing, Ayurveda, Yin Yoga, and Business of Yoga Instructor
- Chiara Guerrieri, E-RYT 500, YACEP, Anatomy and and Non-Violent Communication Instructor
- Tracy Hodgman E-RYT 500, Art of Teaching Instructor
- Nancy Burtenshaw E-RYT 500, Asana Instructor
- Douglas Ridings E-RYT 200, History of Yoga, Philosophy, and Cultural Appreciation Instructor
- Claudette Evans, E-RYT 500, YACEP, Sanskrit Instructor
- RW Alves, E-RYT 500, C-IAYT, Ethics and Holding Inclusive Space Instructor
We are now taking Applications to our 2021-2022 Grounded Wisdom Teacher Training!
REQUIRED READING FOR MODULAR TRAINING
- Art of Sequencing – Volume Three by Melina Meza
Skill in Action: Radicalizing Your Yoga Practice to Create a Just World by Michelle Cassandra Johnson
- The Yoga Sutras Workbook by Vyas Houston
- Recommended but not required: one of the following translations of The Yoga Sutras:
- Light on the Yoga Sutra by BKS Iyengar (focus on the specific meaning of Sanskrit terms)
- The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali by Chip Hartranft (conceptual, less focused on specific sutras)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Edwin Bryant (very in-depth commentary)
- The Heart of Yoga by Desikachar (for a clear and concise translation)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Vivekananda (extensive commentary)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Sri Swami Satchitananda (heart/bhakti focused commentary)
Those interested in additional anatomy texts can consider: “Science of Yoga: Understand the Anatomy and Physiology to Perfect your Practice” by Ann Swanson, “The Yoga Anatomy Coloring Book” by Kelly Solloway, “Anatomy of Movement” by Blandine, “Key Muscles of Yoga” and “The Key Poses of Hatha Yoga” by Ray Long, “Yoga Body” by Judith Lasater and “Yoga Anatomy” by Leslie Kaminoff.
Those accepted to the training receive a 10% discount on these books at our studios, as available.
The 8 Limbs Mentorship Program is the next step after taking our 200-hour Training. Our newest offering gives 200-hour participants and graduates an opportunity to work with Teacher Training Instructor and experienced 8 Limbs instructors to develop confidence, fine-tune their teaching, and receive feedback.