HEALING YOGA FOR CANCER SURVIVORSHIP
This 50-hour training with Cheryl Fenner Brown is a yoga therapy course designed for yoga teachers and health care practitioners wishing to help cancer patients and survivors use the ancient practices of yoga to build wellness. In this training you will learn:
- About cancer biology, how and why cancer happens, and the link between stress, inflammation, and immunity.
- About traditional Western medical, complementary, and alternative cancer treatments and how side-effects impact patient’s well-being.
- The theory and practice of yoga protocols for the management of cancer treatment side-effects (pain, insomnia, lymphedema, digestive distress, cognitive fog, anxiety, depression, neuropathy, and cancer-related fatigue).
- How to adapt common practices for patients in active treatment, what is safe and what should be avoided.
- Somatic movement therapies that enhance lymphatic flow to boost functional and physical well-being.
- The practical application of adaptive, chair, and restorative asana for patients in treatment and beyond.
- How cancer impacts the subtle body including the koshas, the vayus, and the chakras.
- About the powerful practice of mudra and how it helps manage both the physical and emotional side-effects of cancer.
- Safe pranayama practices for cooling the body and promoting awareness and calm.
- The brain science behind how Yoga Nidra promotes healing at the deepest levels.
- The art of writing your own customized Yoga Nidra meditations.
- How to guide students through intention setting and transforming intentions into personal Sanskrit mantras.
- The power of sound practices, bija mantras, and japa mala meditation.
- How to adapt the yoga for cancer protocols for individual sessions and group yoga classes.
- To build confidence around how to support emotional processing when it arises in your students and clients and how to protect your boundaries while working with this population.
- How to effectively teach and assist cancer patients with practice creating case study protocols.
- Principles of Yoga Therapy for Cancer
This introductory session covers the biology of cancer as well as and how traditional, complementary, and alternative treatments impact patient’s health. Learn how stress impacts the immune system and how yoga can help. How to adapt common practices for patients in active treatment, what is safe and what should be avoided. Explore the basic yoga protocol used in the Healing Yoga for Cancer Survivorship research study including asana, mudra, pranayama, guided relaxation, and sound.
- Cancer and Asana
Learn how to adapt common asanas for both cancer patients and survivors. Take a deep dive into restorative and chair yoga, as well as somatic movement therapies that boost immunity. Learn specific protocols that reduce cancer treatment side-effects such as lymphedema, pain, insomnia, anxiety, depression, digestive distress, neuropathy, and cancer-related fatigue. Practice customizing asana protocols with group case studies.
- The Power of Breath and Sound
A review of yoga philosophy and the difference between Samkhya and Vedanta views. Learn how cancer impacts the different aspects of the subtle body including the koshas, doshas, vayus, and chakras. The science behind pranayama and how to guide patients through practices during treatment and beyond. Specific pranayama protocols to manage anxiety, depression, pain, insomnia, lymphedema, neuropathy, cancer-related fatigue, cognitive fog, and digestive distress. The power of using intention and sound practices (chanting, bija mantra, and japa mala) to enhance meditative states. Learn how to guide clients in creating personalized Sanskrit mantras. Practice customizing breath, sound, and intention protocols with group case studies.
- Mudras for Healing
Learn the powerful art of mudras and how they elicit positive changes in the physical, emotional, mental and wisdom bodies. Learn how to create your own personalized mudras. Specific mudra protocols to promote immune health, and manage anxiety, depression, pain, insomnia, lymphedema, neuropathy, cancer-related fatigue, and digestive distress. How to combine mudra with asana, pranayama, chanting, and meditation to promote deeper awareness and healing. Practice customizing mudra protocols with group case studies. Practice customizing mudra protocols with group case study work.
- Online Yoga Nidra Training
Yoga Nidra is a style of guided meditation that leads practitioners through a first-person experience of their body, breath, emotions, and imagination in a completely non-judgmental and compassionate way. Anyone can learn to write and teach from their own Yoga Nidra meditations with this 10-hour online Yoga Nidra Training chock full of video lectures, audio practices, written homework exercises and 7 hours of bonus content that will stoke your creative writing fires. By the end of the course, you will have written your very own Yoga Nidra meditation and have the tools and understanding to write more scripts.
- Working with Patients Practicum
Are you ready to apply your yoga for cancer knowledge to a real-world teaching scenario? This practicum is an opportunity to work one-on-one with cancer patients and survivors under supervision. Learn how to protect your boundaries while working with this population, and how to support emotional processing when it arises. Tips on how to effectively teach and assist cancer patients. Observe and practice the client assessment process. Customize yoga protocols that combine asana, mudra, pranayama, sound, intention, and yoga nidra to meet your client’s needs. And practice teaching your protocols then receive feedback from your peers in a safe and supportive environment.
Dates and pricing to be posted by January 15, 2021