Summer is passing quickly, and so have the last twenty years!
I write on the edge of the season of sun–rain and cooler temps already making themselves known while we at the 8 Limbs office are finalizing the fall schedule (October through January), and planning workshops, trainings, and our 20th Anniversary Party! Make sure to check out what’s happening starting October 1st, as well as some of our last “summer” workshops, below.
And just for fun, as we head towards our official 20th Anniversary in October, here are 20 highlights from the past 20 years:
- The first lease (Capitol Hill) is signed on a summer day in 1996 in the office of Jim & Jerry Deambrosio, owners of Brocklind’s–incredibly scary but exciting, and ripe with possibility.
- First class at 8 Limbs Capitol Hill, Monday, October 14, 7am. The phone rings, the forced air heater comes on like a freight train, the mats are slippery, but seven people show up, and we’re open.
- 1st Anniversary Party: henna tattoos, cheap red wine, and bare feet.
- Mark Whitwell teaches first 8 Limbs visiting teacher workshop.
- 8 Limbs Wedgwood opens in a strip mall in Wedgwood, December 1999
- Sarah Powers comes to 8 Limbs for the first time in 2000, and every year after for more than a decade.
- Melina Meza, 8 Limbs Manager at the time, spearheads the opening of the 8 Limbs Yoga Boutique, also called The Red Room, in what is now the Surya studio at 8 Limbs Capitol Hill, December 2000.
- First 8 Limbs Teacher Training, 2002: 100 hours in four weekends
- Sun Salutations for Peace: 50+ yogis practice 108 sun salutations in protest of the invasion of Iraq, March 2003.
- 8 Limbs wins Best Yoga Studio in Seattle Weekly, 2004 (and 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2015).
- 8 Limbs 8 Years party, with fashion show, paper tree, and DJ Darek Mazzone, October, 2004.
- 8 Limbs West Seattle opens, dance party with DJ Darek Mazzone.
- Capitol Hill Office and Boutique move down the hall, Melina Meza opens The Art of Wellness in what becomes the Chandra studio.
- Yoga Boutique featured in Puget Sound Business Journal for focusing on sustainable clothing way ahead of the curve, June 2007.
- 8 Limbs wins the Mayor’s Small Business Award from Greg Nickels, 2008.
- Rod Stryker comes to 8 Limbs for the first time, 2008.
- 8 Limbs Phinney Ridge opens on Thanksgiving Day 2009. First (benefit) class with Chiara Guerrieri has 70 people (with 140 shoes in the hallway!).
- Seattle Art Museum kicks off the first Yoga in the Park at Olympic Sculpture Park, Summer 2010.
- Hunter’s Capital purchases Greenus Building at 500 East Pike St., which is refurbished rather than torn down.
- 8 Limbs 20th Anniversary Party, October 15, 2016 – join us to help us make this a highlight!
Want to share a highlight of your own? Post to our Facebook page, tag us @8limbsyoga and @8 Limbs Yoga Centers, and use the hashtag #8limbs20years.
Posted by: Anne Phyfe Palmer, Founder & Studio Director