beginning March 2020
Our full Certification Training is split into three 3-day Training Modules and a Practicum component. These segments may be taken in the order most convenient to the participant. All 200-hour Registered Yoga Teachers may attend any of the three modules. Those interested in becoming a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher must complete all Certification Completion Requirements (below).
with Megan Sloan, 500 E-RYT, RPYT
Part 1: March 20th-22nd, 2020
- Learn to practice and skillfully teach poses through greater understanding of anatomy, energetic actions and modifications
- Understand specific benefits of postures and pranayama for building a personal practice or for working with a wide range of students
- Practice modifications for injuries and/or special needs
- Adjustments and assisting to meet individual needs
- Learn contraindications for foundational poses
Part 2: April 3rd-5th, 2020
- Seated, Chair, Inverted, and Restorative Poses
- Labor and Birth
- Postnatal Yoga Philosophy
- Postnatal Class Sequencing and Structure
- Partner Prenatal Yoga Sequencing and Intention
- Practice Teaching and Feedback
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
with Anne Phyfe Palmer 500 E-RYT, RPYT & Susan Grote, PT
May 13th-15th, 2020
- Anatomy of Pregnant and Postpartum Body
- Assessing and Addressing Pregnant Complications and Discomforts
- Assessing and Addressing Postpartum Complications and Discomforts
- Prenatal and Postnatal Practices
- Deepening Practice as a Pre/Postnatal Teacher
In order to give enrollees the hours needed observing and teaching to become certified RPYTs (Registered Prenatal Yoga Teachers), we offer to Practicums each year for students to attend.
Saturday and Sunday 11:00am-3:30pm: May 16th and 17th, 2020
- Observe one prenatal and one postnatal sample class taught by instructor
- Practice teaching in small groups
- Practice teaching in a live classroom setting to prenatal and postnatal students
- Provide and receive feedback on classes taught
- Observe five prenatal and/or postnatal classes at 8 Limbs Yoga Centers and submit feedback/observations of classes to instructor (these observation classes are included in the tuition paid to 8 Limbs for your practicum)
- Teach five prenatal and/or postnatal classes or privates and submit feedback from students
The cost for each module is $380 if registered up to 2 weeks prior to the module start date, $400 after.
To enroll in the 8 Limbs Pre/Postnatal Certification Program to become a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher please mail the following to 8 Limbs, ATTN: Pre/Postnatal YTT, 500 E Pike St, Seattle, WA 98122:
- Application Form
- Enrollment Form
- Copy of 200-hour Teacher Training Certification
- $25 Enrollment Fee
Note: Space in Modules is limited to 18, space in Practicums is limited to 8. Register early to insure your space.
Please contact us to join the Prenatal Teacher Training email list.
8 Limbs is committed to increasing diversity, accessibility and safety in the Pacific Northwest’s yoga community. This includes a commitment to empowering a yoga teacher pool that is representative of the diversity in our area. As one part of these commitments, 8 Limbs offers partial scholarships to applicants of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and/or other under-represented groups. To apply for this scholarship please include a brief description of why you qualify with your application or enrollment.
Retired and active duty military personnel receive a 20% discount on Teacher Training Tuition.
CERTIFICATION AS RPYT (REGISTERED PRENATAL YOGA TEACHER)
Certification Completion Requirements:
- Completion of Teaching Methodology Parts 1 & 2, Anatomy & Physiology, and Practicum
- Observation and tracking of five prenatal and postnatal yoga classes (these classes are in addition to those required for the Practicum and are paid for separately either at 8 Limbs or the studio of your choice)
- Passing Grade on Take Home Test
- Passing Grade on Video Teaching Test
Participants who complete all requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion from 8 Limbs Yoga Centers. They can then submit this Certificate to Yoga Alliance to receive RPYT status.
- “Birthing from Within” by Pam England
- “Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn” by Penny Simpkin
- “Preparing for Birth with Yoga” by Janet Balaskas
- “The Female Pelvis” by Blandine Calais-Germain
- “Netter’s Anatomy” by Frank Netter, MD
Required and recommended books offered at 10% discount to training participants when purchased at 8 Limbs.