Each year more than 1.5 million people in American sustain a Traumatic Brain Injury. It is an injury that is often invisible, but deeply impactful, often causing lifelong disability.
To 8 Limbs is excited to announce a formal partnership with LoveYourBrain to provide yoga to those who have experienced TBI and their caregivers!
LoveYourBrain (LYB) is a non-profit organization that aims to improve the quality of life of people affected by traumatic brain injury—from concussion to severe injury—through programs that build community. The LYB Yoga program supports people who have experienced a TBI and their caregivers to participate in community-based gentle yoga and meditation classes tailored to their needs. We believe that everyone should have an opportunity to improve and restore their physical and emotional wellbeing through these practices. LoveYourBrain is the message that embodies our positive approach to brain injury prevention and recovery. Everything LYB does is about connecting, educating and empowering people to promote a brain healthy lifestyle. To learn more check out the trailer for The Crash Reel, the documentary about Kevin Pearce, a snowboarder who experienced a TBI and founded LoveYourBrain.
8 Limbs has chosen to partner with LoveYourBrain because we want to support the amazing service LYB offers to people who have experienced TBI. Thank you to Marni Yamada and Patty Turnberg for bringing this non-profit to our attention, and to Patty to making sure we connected.
The LoveYourBrain Yoga program is a 6-week yoga and meditation series, that is FREE for people who have experienced a TBI and their caregivers. Learn more about the series here: https://www.loveyourbrain.com/yoga/practice 8 Limbs will begin to host this series in April 2020. Registration (required) will be available through LoveYourBrain: https://www.loveyourbrain.com/lyb-yoga-wa
Our LoveYourBrain Yoga program at 8 Limbs Yoga Centers is completely FREE for people with TBI and their caregivers. To make this possible, LoveYourBrain leads its largest fundraising campaign of the year – MindfulMarch – during brain injury awareness month. Here’s how you can join the movement to make yoga more accessible to the TBI community:
- Sign up for the 31-Day Meditation Challenge offered in March. You can help us reach our goal of 1,000 people meditating across the globe – every day – during March! Here’s what you can expect:
- A meditation by email every day in March, with a unique and accessible practice to start your day. These practices are designed for beginners and for those who have been practicing for years.
- Meditations that are organized in mini-series so you can dive deeper into the following areas: self-acceptance, resilience, managing anxiety, positivity, working with chronic pain, equanimity, and stress relief.
- A variety of meditation styles, like mindfulness, loving kindness, visualization, and yoga nidra to expand and deepen your practice.
- Donate on the 8 Limbs Team Page and/or attend our donation-based classes in March, taught by teachers trained by Love Your Brain. To register go to our schedule on your MindBody app and sign in for the class(es) you want to attend:
- Thursday, March 19
7:15-8:30pm All Levels with Alex Baker
8 Limbs West Seattle, 4546 1/2 California Ave SW (alley entrance)
- Monday, March 30
7:15-8:30pm Restorative Yoga with Anne Phyfe Palmer (limited to 16 students)
8 Limbs Capitol Hill, 500 E Pike St.
- Tuesday, March 31
4-5:15pm All Levels with Chiara Guerrieri
8 Limbs Phinney Ridge, 6801 Greenwood Ave N
- Thursday, March 19
Visit loveyourbrain.com to learn more about MindfulMarch and their programs designed to build community and foster resilience for people impacted by TBI. Questions about Mindful March at 8 Limbs? Email email@example.com.