As mysterious as the Sanskrit alphabet (devanāgarī) may appear at first glance, it is actually beautifully elegant in its simplicity, and can be learned by anyone. By the end of this 6-class series, students will be able to read and write asana names and yoga sutra-s, and will enjoy the experience of writing as form of dhāraṇā (concentration) and dhyāna (meditation). This course is an immersion into the Sanskrit language through the study of the Sanskrit alphabet, including practice reading simple words, phrases and select mantras.
- Learn proper pronunciation of the entire Sanskrit alphabet, giving you confidence to chant mantras and slowly begin to speak Sanskrit words with ease;
- Develop authentic insight into why Sanskrit is called the language of vibration and why that’s important;
- Understand how to link letters and form words in Sanskrit;
- Learn why Sanskrit mantras are healing for the listener.
Elements of the course include:
- Proper pronunciation of select sounds of the Sanskrit alphabet;
- Practice reading the Sanskrit letters in their traditional written form, called devanāgarī, as well as in the transliterated script;
- Introduction and application of complex combinations of devanāgarī letters;
- Learning to read and write select words, sutras and mantras;
- Practice chanting mantras;
- Light homework exercises to support course material.
You’ll leave this workshop series feeling more confident and knowledgeable in your understanding of Sanskrit and how to begin incorporating Sanskrit into your life. This series is great for yoga teachers and students interested in deepening their knowledge of yoga.
THURSDAYS, 10:00 – 11:30AM
November 1 – December 6, 2018 (no class 11/22, Thanksgiving Day)
Cost for 6-week series: $110 through September 30, $150 after
Note: Our series require a minimum of five registered participants, by five days before the start date; if you are considering joining please register early.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds of 90% up to five days prior to start of series. No refunds allowable after that time.
Claudette Evans is a self-described yoga nerd and came to Sanskrit via her love of singing, chanting and yoga philosophy. Her formal introduction to the language began in 2010 when she took the American Sanskrit Institute’s (ASI’s) Weekend Immersion with Kathryn Payne. That event lit the flame for her independent studies and encouraged to her to seek additional workshops led by ASI-trained teachers. Claudette has been bringing Sanskrit, the language of yoga, to students since the fall of 2014 when she completed the ASI Apprenticeship Program. She continues her studies today under the guidance of her teacher and ASI Director, Zoe Mai. Claudette enjoys studying classic yoga texts, including the Bhagavad Gītā, the Yoga Sūtra-s of Patañjali, and the Vijñānabhairava Tantra, among others, along with the grammar and philosophy found within. She shares the beauty of Sanskrit in her weekly classes, in workshops and yoga teacher trainings around the Pacific Northwest and in Canada.