Each February we invite 8 Limbs students, teachers, and staff to go deeper with 28 straight days of daily practice. Our 2019 theme, Roots of Yoga, comes from a commitment to link our modern day practices of yoga to their source teachings and teachers – both to show respect and to inspire a deeper understanding of this powerful lineage.
With a 28 Day Commitment, we make space in our lives to experience what a stronger commitment to yoga in one’s life can bring and discover how practice creates conditions for finding and honoring our own wisdom. You can also set your own commitment intention.
Doing asana all 28 days is not required, nor is practicing all 28 days at 8 Limbs. Practice can include any of the 8 limbs of yoga. You can practice at home, at the studio, on a mountaintop, it all counts. The emphasis is on the word commitment, not challenge. Which is not to say practicing for 28 days is not challenging. It is! Participants are encouraged to consider what a sustainable, balanced practice means and integrate gentle, restorative, and contemplative practices as feels appropriate.
How to Participate in the 2018 28 Day Commitment
- Anyone can join – just use your active class pass or membership or take drop-ins as you normally would (click here for tuition options, including a 1 month unlimited), and supplement with at-home/personal practice. You don’t even have to take 8 Limbs classes to participate!
- Find a way to practice every day in February! (Click here for some commitment tips.)
- Pick up a wristband, practice journal, and commitment letter (which includes a coupon for one free class for a friend) at the front desk, available in studios by January 15, 2019
- Daily inspirations will be displayed each day of February in the studios and on Facebook and Instagram, and posted on the 8 Limbs 28 Day Blog page (this page will be live on February 1, 2019).
- Track your progress on our in-studio tracking graph – you can mark both practices in studio and outside.
- Practice all 28 days at an 8 Limbs studio and you can pick out an 8 Limbs mug or water bottle as our gift to you
- Join 8 Limbs founder Anne Phyfe Palmer and fellow 28 Day participants for a guided meditation and a discussion of practice, free and open to all:
Plan to join us in February and get the community support for your daily practice!
Read Ashley Dahl’s preparation tips for a sustainable practice on the 8 Limbs Blog.
As part of the 8 Limbs 28 Day Commitment, we commit to:
- Being open to what all eight limbs of yoga have to offer.
- Listening to, and in turn befriending, not just our bodies but our whole selves.
- Recognizing the numerous formal and informal opportunities to practice. Yoga happens in studios as well as on the road, in nature, in a quiet moment…
- Experiencing what it’s like to carve out time and space to practice for 28 consecutive days, whether we’re in the mood to practice or not.
- Giving and receiving support within community – with those practicing all 28 days with us as well as those simply showing up on the mat next to us or in our lives.
- Understanding that while practicing for 28 days in a row may be challenging, making a commitment to ourselves lies at the heart of this collective tradition.