The 8 Limbs Summer Intensive Teacher Training was designed for students, schoolteachers, and others with a flexible schedule and/or an interest in full immersion into yoga. This training is limited to 15 participants, allowing for a more intimate and individual experience.
This 5-week immersion 200-hour Program includes:
- 180 contact hours, per the Yoga Alliance standards:
- 90 hours Asana, Pranayama and Restorative
- 30 hours Anatomy and Physiology
- 20 hours Art of Teaching/Teaching Practice and Sequencing
- 30 hours Philosophy, Chanting & Yogic Lifestyle
- 10 hours Ethics and Diversity & Inclusivity Training
- 20 hours homework (workshop development and research paper)
- 8 Limbs Teacher Training Manual
- Minimum two years yoga asana practice and 6 months personal practice at start of training
- Attendance of all training gatherings*
- Completion of required reading list and homework
- Passing grade on final exam
- Workshop Development
- Research Paper
The Summer Intensive will take place at our Phinney Ridge studio and involve both lecture and practice sessions. We encourage students to bring camping chairs and/or props for lectures, only limited yoga props are available at our studios for sitting. Class size is limited to 15 students for a more intimate experience. There are currently five spaces left in the training, we will update this page when the training is full.
Approximate Schedule (includes mid-morning and lunch breaks)
- Mondays – Fridays, June 27 – August 1, 2018, 7:45am – 5:30pm*, no class July 4th
* Some days will end earlier
- Jonna Bracken, , E-RYT 200
- Chiara Guerrieri, E-RYT 500
- Tracy Hodgeman, E-RYT 200
- Tami Hafzalla, E-RYT 500
- Melina Meza, E-RYT 500
- Douglas Ridings, E-RYT 200
- Megan Sloan, E-RYT 500, RPYS
- Terilyn Wyre – RYT 200
2017 Tuition Options
Full Payment: $3,700 through May 1, $3,800 after
Installment Plan: (total $3,900)
- 1st payment of $975 due within two weeks of acceptance
- 2nd payment of $975 due June 1 *
- 3rd payment of $975 due July 1
- 4th payment of $975 due July 20
To participate in the Installment Plan you must provide a valid credit card. 8 Limbs will automatically charge your account on or near payment due dates: June 1, July 1, and July 20.
*Payments one and two will be combined should application be accepted on or after June 1. Payments will NOT be shifted ahead.
8 Limbs is committed to increasing diversity, accessibility and safety in the Pacific Northwest’s yoga community. This includes a committment to growing and nurturing a yoga teacher pool that is diverse in terms of culture, race, ethnicity, gender/sexual identification and sexual orientation. As a part of these commitments, 8 Limbs offers partial scholarships to applicants of color, people who identify as gay and/or transgender, and/or other under-represented groups. To apply for this scholarship please include a brief description of why you qualify with your application or enrollment.
Retired and active duty military personnel receive a 20% discount on Teacher Training Tuition.
Optional 8 Limbs Yoga Centers Membership for June, July & August: $200
Please submit two typed copies of both the following questions and your answers along with your name, address, telephone number, email, the name of the training you hope to attend (Modular or Summer Intensive) and a current photo/headshot. A $45 application fee is due with your application. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the training is filled. All applications are strictly confidential and will be read and shared only by Teacher Training Staff Members.
- How long have you studied yoga? List styles and main teachers.
- Describe your current wellness program. Please include self-care, medical care, nutritional choices, exercise other than yoga, and therapy (optional).
- Describe your personal yoga and/or spiritual practice. Include practices of faith, rituals and traditions.
- Do you currently teach yoga? If so, how often and what level?
- Do you have experience teaching in any others field(s)? List other training or experience relevant to yoga and/or teaching.
- What motivated you to pursue studies in yoga and what keeps you motivated?
- List all injuries or illnesses and how they affect your current condition.
- List prescription medications you are taking for physical or psychological reasons.
- What do you hope to gain from this training?
Mail your application to:
8 Limbs Yoga Centers
Attention: Teacher Training
500 East Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98122
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206.325.8221.
REQUIRED READING FOR SUMMER INTENSIVE
- “Art of Sequencing – Asana Modifications, Volume 3” by Melina Meza
- “Light on Yoga” by BKS Iyengar
- “Prakriti” by Dr. Robert Svoboda
- “Teaching Yoga” by Donna Farhi
Please select one of the following Yoga Sutra translations:
- “Light on the Yoga Sutra” by BKS Iyengar (for those interested in the specific meaning of Sanskrit terms)
- “The Heart of Yoga” by Desikachar (for a clear and concise translation)
- “The Path of the Yoga Sutras” by Nicolai Bachman or by “The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali” by Vivekananda (for those who want more extensive commentary)
RECOMMENDED READING FOR SUMMER INTENSIVE
- “A Physiological Handbook for Teachers of Yogasana” – Mel Robin
- “Art of Sequencing – Volume Two” by Melina Meza
- “Ayurvedic Home Remedies” by Dr. Vasant Lad
- “A Life in Balance” by Maya Tiwari
- “Atlas of Human Anatomy” by Frank Netter, MD
- “Anatomy of Movement” by Calais-Germain
- “Life is a Stretch” by Elise Browning Miller
- “The Breathing Book” by Donna Farhi
- “The Yoga Tradition” by Georg Fuerstein
- “Yoga for Wellness” by Gary Kraftsow
- “Yoga Anatomy” by Joanne Stautgaard-Jones
- “Yogabody” by Judith Lasater*
- “Yoga Body” by Mark Singleton
- “Yoga Therapy” by AG, Indra, and Ganesh Mohan
- “Relax into Greatness” by Rod Stryker
- “The Language of Yoga” by Nicolai Bachman
- “Yoga Nidra” by Richard Miller
Those accepted to the training receive a 10% discount on these books at our studios.
The 8 Limbs Mentorship Program is the next step after taking our 200-hour Training. Our newest offering gives 200-hour participants and graduates an opportunity to work with Teacher Training Instructor and experienced 8 Limbs instructors to develop confidence, fine-tune their teaching, and receive feedback.