Since 2000, 8 Limbs has been a host of what we call “Visiting Teacher” workshops. Teachers who have expertise and knowledge that we believe will benefit our community are invited to “visit” from outside our studio (and usually outside our state).
In 2016 8 Limbs chose to begin looking at our position and our choices from a different lens. We codified this with our updated Mission and our Social Justice Mission,which included a “commitment to deepen our understanding of the ways in which 8 Limbs has been part of, and benefitted from, local and national approaches to yoga that center white, sex/gender- and hetero- normative, economically advantaged, and able bodies, and a commitment to investigate and evolve our practices, both as a business and as a community of teachers and practitioners.”
We bring this commitment to our Visiting Teacher choices, to better represent the population of yoga practitioners around the world and to center folks who have been marginalized in our country, and in yoga. In the past four years we’ve hosted Rolf Gates, Nikki Myers, Hala Khouri, Jessamyn Stanley, Rev. angel Kyodo williams, and Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, and Michelle Johnson is coming in December 2019.
This summer 8 Limbs will host a weekend of classes with a new “Visiting Teacher.” Aadil Palkhivala, founder of Purna Yoga and Alive and Shine Center (formerly Yoga Centers), in Bellevue, Washington. Though he only has to cross the 520 bridge to reach our studio, Aadil is one of the world’s top yoga instructors. He teaches internationally and is known as a teacher of teachers. Aadil and came to Bellevue from India, where he studied with the yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar starting at age 7. Aadil brings to 8 Limbs a breadth and depth of knowledge that has great value to our community and we hope you’ll join him for one (or more) of his workshops July 18-21. He will address wrist issues, provide a detoxifying practice, unpack the eight limbs of yoga for the modern age, and teach twists and savasana.
- ParaYoga Enlightened Sleep Training with Rod Stryker – September 18-22, 2019
- Rev. angel Kyodo williams – November 22-24, 2019
- Michelle Johnson – December 14-16, 2019
- Cutting the Ties of the Heart with Gary Kraftsow – January 31-Feburary 2, 2020
- LoveYourBrain Yoga for Traumatic Brain Injury Training – February 21-23, 2020
- Yoga & Ayurveda for Healthy Aging with Baxter Bell & Melina Meza – April 24-26, 2020
- Yoga for 12 Step Recovery Training with Nikki Myers, June 5-7, 2020
- Yoga, Purpose, and Action, an Off the Mat Training with Hala Khouri, Nikki Myers, and Suzanne Sterling, October 12-16, 2020
Posted by: 8 Limbs Yoga